Monday, August 9, 2010

Home @ Hoddle

We are getting towards the end of our calving season at home on the farm.
Calving a herd of dairy cows down through one of the wettest winters for many years has really brought me back down to earth after my Nuffield travels.


Crossbreeding in action!
Everyone of these calves contain the genetics of at least 3 different dairy breeds. Holstein, Jersey, Scandinavian Red Breed and Montbeliarde all represented here.


Due to a great autumn season (and excellent management in my absence) we went into this winter with higher pasture covers than we have for a long time. Our average pasture cover at start of calving was 2900kgDM/ha, the girls (cows) have done a great job and we have managed to keep post grazing residuals below 1650kgDM/ha. These high pasture covers have been very beneficial in helping us manage the wet soils this winter (lots of leaf on top-lots of roots below holding the soil together).


Lets hope there is some gold in dairy this season!!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I love these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting and great shots. I always wanted to visit Australia.

    Nice work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the blue Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting I learned something new about the dairy industry thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete